A long time ago a saw a recipe on youtube for these 1 ingredients flaxseed crackers. They seemed so interesting to me but I never got around to trying them until now. I get a little bit nervous-making anything that involves rolling things out with a rolling pin, I think because I am horrible at maths and I am horrible at being able to assess how thick or thin things need to be for them to work out. Unfortunately for this recipe I left the dough a little too thick and so the crackers turned out a little soft and spongy instead of cracker-like, but I thought I would upload the recipe anyway because I am not a perfectionist and the problem can be easily rectified by rolling the dough super thin. I will say that it needs to be thinner than you think (around 2 mm thin) because flax does have a soft sponginess to it when baked and crackers need to be crispy and hard. If you are not intimidated by rolling things out then this recipe is actually very easy and only uses two main ingredients, ground flaxseeds and dried rosemary (and salt and water of course). You can of course add any other herbs and spices you like or flavour these crackers differently. The addition of a little garlic powder would complement the rosemary nicely.
The crackers are completely gluten-free and lower carb than most crackers. They work great in kids’ lunch boxes as a higher protein/fat option especially when nuts are not allowed. They also work great part as part of a platter with dips or various cheeses etc. I also think they are just a great way to get flax seeds in. If you are not a fan of adding ground flaxseed to your breakfasts etc, making a big batch of these and having 1-2 crackers a day will probably give you all the flaxseed you need for good hormone balance. Remember to read my flaxseed article about the benefits of flaxseed https://hazelandcacao.com/the-benefits-of-flaxseeds-for-hormone-balance/
|Two Ingredient Flaxseed Rosemary Crackers|| |
- 2 cups ground flaxseeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 cup Water
- Add flaxseeds into a mixing bowl and combine with rosemary and salt.
- Slowly add water and mix until a dough forms. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes for the mixture to thicken.
- Place dough in between 2 pieces of baking paper and roll out flat into a rectangle shape about 2 mm thickness.
- Remove top baking paper and cut into small squares, sprinkle with extra flaxseeds or sesame seeds if desired.
- Transfer crackers on to a large baking tray with the baking paper.
- Bake for 20-30 mins at 200 C