Blackberry Crumble Pie
I have really been loving blackberries lately. I cant say that I prefer them over strawberries because I seem to have strawberries more than any other berry but blackberries are a very close second! Unfortunately I find it very difficult to find fresh blackberries in Australia except for a few weeks in the summer. I resort to buying nice big bags of frozen blackberries which I use when I can. Don’t let the photo’s fool you. This is definitely a black berry pie, but since I used all my blackberries in the recipe I had to use some frozen mulberries as decoration. I am sure mulberries would taste just as delicious in the pie, but they are so incredibly difficult to find! They are in my part of the world anyway.
The recipe I am sharing today is an adaptation of my strawberry crumble bars I shared a few weeks ago. The only thing I did differently was use blackberries instead of strawberries and use a tart tin instead of a slice tin. Here is the link to the strawberry bars: https://talidavoinea.au/strawberry-crumble-bars/ This pie is full of plant based protein from the almonds, full of antioxidants and fibre and is also delicious for breakfast with a big dollop of coconut yogurt! I guess you could also serve it for dessert with some vegan custard or ice cream, although I have struggled to find a good vegan vanilla ice cream recipe that I like. Hopefully one day I will find one.
|Blackberry Crumble Pie|| |
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free is necessary)
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1 500g bag of frozen blackberries
- CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup wholemeal spelt flour or buckwheat flour for completely gluten free
- ⅓ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- pinch salt
- ⅓ cup sunflower or grapeseed oil
- For the base: add all your base ingredients into a food processor and process until sticky to the touch. If your mixture is not sticky enough, add a few more dates. Press mixture evenly into the bottom and sides of a lightly greased tart/pie tin. I used a standard 24 cm tart tin.
- For the blackberry filling: empty your bag of frozen blackberries over your base
- For the Crumble topping: Add all your ingredients except oil to a seperate bowl and mix well. Pour your oil over the top of the crumble mixture and mix well until the mixture is evenly coated in oil.
- Pour crumble over your blackberries and flatten slightly with a spatula.
- Bake at 180 C for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- Enjoy for breakfast with some vegan yogurt, custard or ice cream.